I kept meaning to take a final picture of these burgers, but then we were finishing them before I remembered to take a picture! However, I am confident I will make them again and will then take a more appetizing picture. These burgers are simple to make, hearty, and full of flavor and plant-based protein. And, it always warms my heart when I can make something that my husband says is “really good” that is really healthy, too!
Inspired by a quinoa burger I had at a local restaurant and adapted from a few different recipes, here is my take:
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup of quinoa (make sure to rinse before cooking to remove any bitterness)
- 1 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp of water, divided
- 1 tbsp of flax meal
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp of onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of salt (start with less, add to taste)
- 1 tbsp canola oil (optional, depending on cooking method)
- Bring the quinoa and the 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Once it has come to a boil, turn heat down to medium-low, cover and simmer until water is completely absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- In a small bowl, vigorously mix the flax meal and the 3 tbsp of water and let sit for 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken while sitting, but if it separates, give it a stir again.
- Once you have rinsed and drained the black beans, put them in a medium-sized bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher until you have created a thick paste but there are still noticeable bean pieces.
- Add the quinoa, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and flax mixture to the beans and mix until all ingredients are uniformly distributed.
- Form 6 patties from the mixture with your hands.
- Heat oil in grill pan over medium heat.
- Grill patties, two at a time, in the pan for 5 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy on the outside.
Makes 6 burgers.
Potential local, seasonal additions: diced tomatoes, diced pepper, cilantro, oregano, cauliflower (mashed)
Serving suggestions: all the regular toppings work really well on these burgers. We ate with sweet relish one night and fresh salsa the next.
What is your favorite burger recipe (plant- or meat-based)? I would love to hear about it!